“I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.”
Henry David Thoreau
Did you know that 28% of millennials prefer to stay in, and a whopping 55% of Americans of all other ages feel the same way? In the midst of our busy lifestyles and the pursuit of the American Dream, staying in has become the new going out. But what does that mean for those of us who are dating or in a relationship? Socialization as a couple is said to allow a couple to move deeper into one another’s lives; becoming inclusive to their inner circle, while forming a bond in which they can walk through life maintaining their individuality while in partnership and love.
Those that choose to remain at home repeatedly fall into comfort ability, which can often result in lack of intimacy, fun, and ultimately, a thriving relationship. So, if your beau’s ideal date every weekend is, “Netflix and chill,” is it a sign of your impending demise?
No. The same as people change, trends change too. And that means so can what creates a thriving romantic relationship. After all, every relationship is unique in its own right, and so logically speaking, every relationship can grow uniquely.
Staying home for your date is totally okay as long as you can maintain strong social interaction and keep things fun and spicy.
Below are five ways you can keep the relationship spicy with in-home dating:
1. Group Dating: Invite people over for some home games, like Cards Against Humanity, or some classic charades! Without a doubt, the easiest way to stimulate conversation and individuality, while encouraging partnership and fun!
2. Light Candles for Ambiance: You don’t need to go full-out with a nice dinner. Keep it simple, light some candles to create an intimate space for you and your partner.
3. Play Music: People are naturally emotional beings. One of the best ways to connect to ones emotions is through music. Setting the mood with music will allow you both to break away from the worries and to-dos of the day, and be fully present with one another while in the comforts of your own home.
4. Picnic in the Living Room With Your Favorite Childhood Snacks: Tidy up the rest of the house and get on the floor for an intimate dinner with some of your favorite snacks. This allows you both to sit facing one another and engage eye contact, or cuddle around some yummy food as you share fun stories and reminisce over the treats in front of you.
5. Wear Something Sexy Underneath Your Clothes: Ladies, there’s something about having lingerie underneath our clothes that changes the energy in the room. Don’t tell your partner what you have on. Let them discover that for themselves. It not only boosts your confidence, but gives you the control to up the ante as the night goes on.
There you have it! Staying in certainly does not have to mean the end of a fun, loving relationship. So get out there (or in this case, stay in!) and create that amazing love life with your beau. Who knew it could be so comfortable!